THE STUDY QURAN is a historic and ground-breaking work that offers:
- A new English translation of the Quran that is accurate, accessible, and reliable in how it renders this sacred text
- A wide-ranging verse-by-verse commentary that brings together the most respected and distinguished traditions of metaphysical, spiritual, theological, and legal interpretation of the Quran within Islam
- A helpful introduction to each surah that provides an overview and background of its teachings
- Essays by fifteen internationally renowned scholars on how to read and understand the Quran and its role in shaping Islamic civilization
- A beautiful two-color, two-column design that presents the sacred text and commentary in the spirit of traditional Quran manuscripts
- Maps, a time line of historical events, comprehensive indexes, and other features to aid reading
The Study Quran provides a service never before available to readers of English: a scholarly yet accessible resource where one can quickly and easily explore how Muslims have interpreted the Quran through the centuries to the present day. An invaluable resource for scholars and students of all backgrounds, and especially to Muslims who want to deepen their understanding of their own tradition, The Study Quran is a much-needed guide in a time when confusion about the Quran and Islam is so prevalent.
Editor in Chief: Seyyed Hossein Nasr
General Editors: Caner K. Dagli, Maria Massi Dakake, Joseph E. B. Lumbard
Christiane Amanpour on CNN devoted a segment to "The Study Quran" and interviewed one of the general editors, Caner Dagli, and Suhaib Webb. Watch the interview at: http://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2015/11/12/intv-amanpour-quran.cnn
“This is perhaps the most important work done on the Islamic faith in the English language to date. We owe a great debt to Dr. Seyyed Hossein Nasr, one of the intellectual giants of our time, and his team for bringing this labor of love to fruition.”
- Hamza Yusuf, Co-Founder of Zaytuna College.
“THE STUDY QURAN is a historic and ground-breaking work, produced by a distinguished team of Islamic Studies scholars led by Seyyed Hossein Nasr. This scholarly yet accessible translation and commentary lets readers quickly and easily explore how Muslims have interpreted the Quran through the centuries to the present day. The Study Quran could not be more timely.”
- Sherman A. Jackson, King Faisal Chair of Islamic Thought and Practice, The University of Southern California.
David Crumm from "Read The Spirit" has very good article on the place of "The Study Quran" in the history of Quran translation into English: http://www.readthespirit.com/explore/10-years-in-research-2000-page-study-quran-is-a-religious-milestone/
An article about "The Study Quran" in Diverse: Issues in Higher Education: http://diverseeducation.com/article/78923/
See more Testimonials at: http://harperone.hc.com/studyquran/endorsements